The Hairy Bikers create mouthwatering festive dishes and get into the spirit of the season in Hairy Bikers Home for Christmas episode 1.
The Hairy Bikers Home for Christmas episode 1
Christmas is a wonderful time to celebrate with food and the Hairy Bikers create the perfect meals for the big day. On this episode the Bikers cook up a cherry and bourbon glazed gammon, rolled and stuffed turkey breast and legs, as well as a magnificent Christmas croquembouche – a fabulous centerpiece dessert, as they get to know how Kate spends her Christmas. Alongside the recipes and fun, there are also fantastic ideas for homemade edible Christmas presents.
Roast squash salad
This wintery salad makes a great side dish to Christmas ham, and would also go well with griddled pear wedges as part of a vegetarian platter of festive dishes.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
- Cut the pumpkin flesh into a fairly small dice and put into a roasting tin. Toss with the oil, thyme and garlic, and season generously.
- Roast for 30 minutes, or until the pumpkin has softened and is well browned around the edges. Allow to cool slightly.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients in large bowl.
- Add the salad leaves to the dressing, season with salt and pepper, then toss lightly. Arrange the leaves over a serving plate. Toss the pumpkin in the same bowl to pick up any residue from the dressing, then arrange over the leaves. Sprinkle with the pumpkin seeds and serve.
This Christmas ham is made with cherry conserve, whiskey, ginger and cinnamon for a twist on the usual festive spices.
Christmas red cabbage
Cabbage is an easy treat that only uses one pan. It’s a perfect addition to Christmas dinner instead of or as well as the usual suspects.
Chocolate hazelnut spread brownies
This dense and fudgy brownie adds chocolate hazelnut spread into the mix as well as crunchy toasted hazelnuts. To get the right balance between cake-like and fudge-like brownie, try leaving them in the fridge overnight before cutting. But if you cut them right away the consistency will still improve after a day or two.