Jamie’s Meat-Free Meals episode 3 – Bean Burger, Charred Salad, Spicy Curry
Jamie’s Meat-Free Meals episode 3 recipes:
Roasted black bean burgers
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/gas 6. Peel 1 onion, place in a food processor with the mushrooms, rye bread and 1 teaspoon of ground coriander, and whiz until fine. Drain and pulse in the black beans, season lightly with sea salt and black pepper, then divide into 4 and shape into patties, roughly 2.5cm thick. Rub all over with oil and dust with ground coriander, then place on an oiled baking tray and roast for 25 minutes, or until dark and crispy, topping with the Cheddar and warming the rolls for the last few minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel and very finely chop the remaining onion with the tomatoes and place in a bowl. Squeeze over the lime juice, add a few shakes of Tabasco and season to taste. Destone, peel and finely slice the mango and avocado.
- Halve the warm rolls and divide the yoghurt between the bases, followed by half the salsa, the mango, avocado and coriander leaves. Top with the burgers, remaining salsa and extra Tabasco, pop the lids on and press down lightly.
Amazing tomato curry
- With the tip of a knife, prick the tomatoes, removing the cores from any larger ones. Carefully plunge them into fast-boiling water for 45 seconds, then drain and peel away the skin. Cover the saffron with 100ml of boiling water and leave to infuse. Toast the almonds in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat until golden, then tip into a small bowl and place the pan back on the heat.
- Peel and very finely chop the garlic, ginger and chillies. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of oil into the pan, then add the curry leaves, followed by all the spices. Peel and quarter the onion, click apart into petals, then add to the pan with the garlic, ginger and chilli and fry for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the tomatoes, coconut milk and saffron water, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes, removing the lid and adding the mango chutney halfway. Season to taste with sea salt and black pepper, then scatter over the almonds. Serve with fluffy rice.
Double corn salad
- Place a large non-stick frying pan on a high heat with 1 tablespoon of oil, then add the popping corn and cover with a lid. Once popped, add a few generous shakes of Tabasco, toss together and tip into a large salad bowl. In the same pan, grill the corn until lightly charred all over, turning regularly, then remove.
- Trim and roughly chop the lettuce, and trim and finely slice the spring onions, then add to the bowl. Break the cheeses into a blender, and spoon in the yoghurt. Peel and add the garlic, followed by the mustard, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce, then blitz until smooth, and season to taste with sea salt and black pepper. Carefully slice off the corn kernels and add to the bowl. Pour over the dressing, toss together and pick over the coriander leaves, then serve straight away.