Gardens Near and Far episode 30 – Gravetye: This garden, located in the south of England, reveals a wild side of nature, with its abundance of flowering perennials. It was designed by champion of the “wild garden” William Robinson.
At the end of the 19th century, Robinson, an Irishman, launched a war on regular and geometrical gardens. Close to the Arts and Crafts movement, an artistic movement born in England in the 1860s, he considered that art should intervene everywhere and that beauty should be useful. As a result, his garden was also designed so that the orchard and vegetable garden could supply both decoration and food for the house.
Landscape architect Jean-Philippe Teyssier takes us on a discovery of the most beautiful gardens in France and the world. The gardeners, landscapers, horticulturalists, architects, historians and estate managers he meets unveil the art of gardening. They show us how gardens have been designed, planted and maintained over the centuries. The exceptional gardens Jean-Philippe Teyssier visits make up a myriad of passions, journeys, colors and shapes.
Gardens Near and Far episode 30 – Gravetye
Gravetye Manor is a manor house located near East Grinstead, West Sussex, England. The former home of landscape gardener William Robinson, it is now a hotel and restaurant holding, as of 2018, one star in the Michelin Guide and is a Grade I listed building with Grade 2* listed gardens.
The two storey Elizabethan house was built in 1598 by Richard Infield, an iron master, for his new bride Katherine Compton.
It was the home of William Robinson, author of “The English Flower Garden“, from 1884 until his death in 1935. He commissioned architect Sir Ernest George to add a matching wing to the north-east and developed the garden into one of the most famous in England. After his death it and the surrounding 1,000 acres (400 ha) natural landscaped grounds were left to the Forestry Commission. Used as a base for Canadian Army soldiers during World War II, who dug out parts of Robinson’s garden to plant potatoes and leeks to supplement their rations, post-War it was left derelict for many years